South Korea (Korean: 한국/韓國; RR: Hanguk or literally 남한/南韓; RR: Namhan), officially the Republic of Korea (Korean: 대한민국/大韓民國; RR: Daehan Minguk) is an East-Asian country, constituting as it does the southern part of the Korean peninsula and sharing a land border with North Korea.
South Korea is a highly developed country and the world’s 12th largest economy in terms of GDP in nominal terms. Its citizens enjoy the world’s fastest Internet connection speeds and the world’s 2nd best health care system, which translates into the world’s 3rd highest health-adjusted life expectancy. As the world’s fifth-largest exporter and eighth-largest import nation, South Korea is a world leader in many areas of technology and innovations. Since 2014, South Korea has been named the world’s most innovative country by the Bloomberg Innovation Index for 6 consecutive annual years. Since the 21st century, South Korea has been known for its globally influential pop craze such as K-pop, TV series and movies, a phenomenon called “Korean Wave”. To name a few of Korean success stories :
- The movie, “Parisite” by Bong Joon Ho, world-famous director Bong Joon Ho has won 4 trophies of Oscar 2020
- The Cushion foundation, one of the iconic Korean beauty innovations
- The K-Pop stars such as Girls’ generation, Psy (Gangnam Style) and BTS
- The K-drama that dominates all Asian countries, especially in China, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore
- K-food which is largely gaining popularity, most of the Asian tourists come to Korea to shop and eat as Koreans do. Chinese tourists come massively to experience the infamous “Chiecken and Beer” diner
- Korean Duty Free (Travel Retail) is world’s No.1 with impressive sales % coming from mobile payment and is the prominent core player for global Travel Retail market due to the massive sales coming from the Chinese tourists.
I am a Korean female living in Paris. I have over 2.5 decades of multinational and extensive experience in Korea, in Asia and in Europe. I am a Consultant specialised in Beauty, Luxury and digital intelligence, a YouTuber and a blogger. To respond to large number of questions on Korea and Asia, I created this blog site in order to give you more interesting stories that are entertaining, insightful and faster. I edit stories and facts from various sources ; some of them are from the news, some from Social Media, some from the industry experts and some from the exclusive data bases. Please do not hesitate to drop me a mail in case you wish further stories and insights. Bonne lecture, then! Cheers,